Where to Ride

Where to Ride


The best way to learn where you can and cannot ride is by joining our group where experienced riders will help you get started, mark up maps and give you help with routes for your GPS.  Most members generally use Ordnance Survey maps at either 1:50k or 1:25k resolution.

1:50000 Landranger OS Map
1:25000 Explorer OS Map






What to look for on a map

Landranger OS Map BOAT lmage
Explorer OS Map BOAT image

We use ‘green roads’ which are marked on OS Maps as either byways open to all traffic (BOAT) or other routes with public access (ORPA – unsealed roads).

We then refer to the Wiltshire Council website to check if there are any temporary or permanent right of way closures (traffic regulation orders – TRO) or voluntary restraints affecting these ‘green roads’.

We cannot ride on footpaths, bridleways or restricted byways, unless special permission has been granted such as when we support horse events.

Wiltshire County Council rights of way information

The Wiltshire Council online rights of way map is a useful for planning any rides:

Rights of Way Map

Wiltshire Council ROW closures can be viewed here:

Rights of Way Closures

Riding on Salisbury Plain

Salisbury Plain Training Area (SPTA) is home to many rights of way, though only BOAT and permissive byways may be used by motor vehicles.  Visitors must abide by the range bylaws at all times. The ‘greenlaning good practice guide’ is an essential read for any visitor:

Salisbury Plain Training Area Greenlaning Guide

Please remember that your motorcycle must be fully road legal (taxed, MOT’d and insured) as we are riding on public highways at all times.